HISTORY OF NSJRL DISTRICT
A brief history of some of the clubs that have played in the junior league over the last 90 years follows.
Asquith, originally known as Asquith Sports Club, was formed in 1952. It won the A Grade Premiership in 1959 and during the 1960s and 70s fielded more than 29 teams per season in the schoolboys and junior competition. This was a record for a metropolitan club (licensed or unlicensed). In 1968 the name changed to Asquith Rugby League Club Limited for the prime objective of securing a licensed Leagues Club.
During the years since 1952 Asquith participated in sports other than football and fielded cricket teams from A grade to schoolboys. It entered more than 20 teams in the district netball and softball competitions, had a Little Athletics Club and a very popular social Golf Club.
Asquith was granted a license and opened for trading on October 28 1979 in Alexandria Parade, Waitara.
The Berowra club was founded in 1967 with schoolboy teams entering the competition in 1968 and A grade in 1969. The club faced difficulty in fielding senior grades but continued to promote schoolboy competitions in the district. In 1979 they won their first Premiership in the Under 8s competition. In 1980 Berowra won premierships in the Under 7s, 8, 9s and 13s
NORTH SYDNEY BROTHERS
The Brothers club were known for many years as Marist Bros. The first recorded premiership win was in C grade in 1926 with many others to follow. The Brothers Club name was adopted in 1973 and the Knight in Shining armour became the club emblem. The first A grade Brothers side entered the competition in 1978. In 1980 G grade (U13s) entered the competition and in 1981 Brothers took over all the schoolboys teams from Marist Bros Mosman and the High School at North Sydney.
This club was founded in 1983 with 153 registered players. They came fifth in the Club Championship with four teams in the semis and the U8s playing in the grand final. At that time their home ground was Glenorie Oval. By 1984 they had grown to 12 teams with 240 registered players.
LANE COVE TIGERS
Reformed in 2012. In 1925 Lane Cove entered A & B grades in the competition with the club colours being red and white. In 1931 the club known as Lane Cove Institute entered the competition with the club reforming in 1956 adopting the black and gold colours and known as the Tigers. After difficulty in fielding senior grades in 1959 two teams in the U13s and U14s were established. Lane Cove won their first schoolboy competition in 1970 J grade (U10s).
PENNANT HILLS/CHERRYBROOK STAGS
Pennant Hills Rugby League Club was formed in 1967 entering eight teams in the 1968 competition. The first premiership success was in 1969 with the U11s winning the Grand Final.
In 1974 the Club visited Addington RLC in Christchurch New Zealand for the first of a series of reciprocal visits by the U11s and 12s. These carried on until 1983 when increasing costs made it impossible for Addington to continue. The first Club Championship was won by both the Juniors and Seniors in 1982.
Willoughby was one of the founding clubs in the junior league. Although there are no records available the club was most successful and won eight A grade, four B grade and one C grade premiership up until the war years. From the war years until 1957 the club was successful but then broke up. The Club was resurrected in 1966 with the clubs colours changing to red and green but returning later to the blue and gold. A lot of players progressed to play for North Sydney with Norm Provan being one of the notables.
The Ku-ring-gai Cubs are the newest rugby league club in the North Sydney District playing its first season in 2015 and hosting the season’s opening Mini Footy Gala Day on Saturday 28th March 2015. The club was established by former North Sydney and Manly player, Bruce Walker, with the support of the Ku-ring-gai Council and the North Sydney Bears. The KRG Cubs are the first rugby league club in the Ku-ring-gai Council LGA since the West Pymble club was disbanded. The KRG Cubs conduct activities and events at various grounds in the area however its 2015 home ground was Barra Brui Oval.